TORONTO (November 26, 2014) – Watch long and prosper. Bell Media revealed today that its upcoming subscription on-demand video streaming service, code-named “Project Latte,” will deliver to its subscribers the most-sought after sci-fi and fantasy-themed premium TV content in the country when it launches next month, anchored by genre hits ORPHAN BLACK and BBC’s DOCTOR WHO. In addition to revealing “Project Latte’s” Sci-Fi & Fantasy collection, Bell Media also announced today that ARROW and THE FLASH are the first titles confirmed for the service’s Superhero collection. Today’s announcements are the latest in a series of programming confirmations for Canada’s premium TV streaming service, set to launch in December.
“Some of the hottest TV shows on earth right now are sci-fi and fantasy-themed, so we’ve strategically curated Project Latte to deliver the best of this type of programming,” said Mike Cosentino, Senior Vice-President, Programming, Bell Media. “In addition to our own ORPHAN BLACK and cult-hit DOCTOR WHO, we are also proud to provide the complete STAR TREK collection – one of the most iconic and beloved TV franchises of all time.”
At launch, the Sci-Fi & Fantasy, STAR TREK, and Superheroes collections will represent more than 1,500 hours of programming for “Project Latte” subscribers.
ORPHAN BLACK and DOCTOR WHO
• At launch, “Project Latte” will feature past seasons of two of the hottest shows on TV – conspiracy clone drama ORPHAN BLACK (20 episodes), exclusively available on “Project Latte,” and BBC’s cult-hit DOCTOR WHO (108 episodes). Last season, ORPHAN BLACK reached a total of 3.7 million viewers and more than 832,000 unique viewers each week on Space. DOCTOR WHO, the #1 series of all time on Space, reached epic proportions in its recently wrapped eighth season, averaging 756,000 viewers weekly, making it the most-watched TV series on Canadian specialty television during its run.
• Bell Media has secured the subscription on-demand video streaming service rights for the entire TV catalogue of one of the most popular series of all time, STAR TREK. Every single episode of STAR TREK’s six series, 30 seasons, 715 hours, and 726 episodes can only be found together on “Project Latte” at launch, allowing subscribers to re-live the intergalactic magic from Captains Kirk to Picard to Janeway.
• While the catalogue has been available to fans in various forms throughout the years, “Project Latte” will be the only service to deliver all six series in their entirety: STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES; STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION; STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE; STAR TREK: VOYAGER; and STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE.
• Plus, fans get access to the little-known STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES, voiced by the original cast.
• “Project Latte” will also feature the British conspiracy thriller UTOPIA, which earlier this week was awarded “Best Drama” at the International Emmy Awards.
• From Kudos, one of the world’s leading television production companies, UTOPIA follows five online strangers who are drawn together by the legendary manuscript of a cult graphic novel, and then find themselves pursued by a secret and deadly organization known only as The Network.
• The U.K. series is currently being adapted for HBO by director David Fincher (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, HOUSE OF CARDS) and writer Gillian Flynn (Gone Girl).
SCI-FI & FANTASY
• Also joining the lineup of ever-growing premium content on “Project Latte” is cop fantasy GRIMM, smoking-hot werewolf drama BITTEN, fan-favourite TEEN WOLF, Season 1 of BBC’s epic adventure drama ATLANTIS, medieval fantasy MERLIN, BBC’s action-packed series SINBAD, comedy horror TODD & THE BOOK OF PURE EVIL, cult favourite military sci-fi series BATTLESTAR GALLACTICA (2004-09), and its spin-off CAPRICA. The iconic and influential THE TWILIGHT ZONE will also be available to “Project Latte” subscribers, in fully re-mastered glory.
• Coming up later in 2015 is the greatly anticipated new Space Original production KILLJOYS, an interplanetary space drama from ORPHAN BLACK producers Temple Street Productions.
Bell Media announced today the first titles for its “Superheroes” collection, ARROW and THE FLASH, two of the most-watched television programs in Canada, Based on the DC comic characters, ARROW is billionaire playboy and secret vigilante Oliver Queen, while THE FLASH is Barry Allen, the Fastest Man Alive.
(Featured Image via Bell Media)